Maryland Legal Aid
April 8, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for a full-time paralegal in the Upper Eastern Shore Office. Under the supervision of an attorney, paralegals are generally expected to handle all functions related to casework from initial intake through representation of clients at administrative and other hearings permitted by law. Paralegals may be expected to work together with attorneys on cases or projects including work on the paralegal’s cases as well as the attorneys’ cases. Some paralegals may perform exclusively or primarily non-casework functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals.
- Perform intakes and, when necessary and appropriate, make referrals to other legal and non-legal resources.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up interviews with clients and witnesses.
- Conduct factual investigations and analysis and legal research.
- Perform litigation support, such as preparing discovery, drafting pleadings, correspondences, and other documents, and supporting attorneys at trail.
- Assist in the development of case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Provide administrative support, including scheduling appointments, hearings etc.
- Conduct community and organizational outreach and education.
- Perform other duties, as assigned; within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Paralegal Certificate or 4 year degree and prior paralegal experience preferred. Individual must have basic written and oral communications skills and must demonstrate potential to perform duties of a paralegal. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
$37,142 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Paralegal(#2004) using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
Equal Opportunity Employer