December 16, 2022
FreeState Justice is seeking a full-time Paralegal to organize an active work environment, respond to client and panel inquiries, support scheduling and communications, maintain legal and compliance records, and coordinate administrative support for a LGBTQIA+ legal services and advocacy nonprofit. Under the supervision of the Legal Director, the paralegal is expected to handle all functions related to casework from initial client intake through representation of clients at administrative and other hearings permitted by law. In addition, the paralegal may be expected to work with attorneys on cases or projects. Tasks assigned to
paralegals may include any or all but are not limited to the following:
● Screen applicants for income eligibility, case type, and Maryland county of residence;
● Use Salesforce database to manage documents and paperwork associated with cases, e.g., client applications, court documents, financial eligibility documents, and essential correspondence;
● Provide community and institutional outreach and education;
● Coordinate legal services events (in-person and online), including legal clinics, tabling activities, and know-your-rights presentations;
● Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients;
● Coordinate day-to-day operations of legal services program environment, including answering phones, technology support, responding to email and website inquiries, supporting office correspondence;
● Make referrals, as appropriate;
● Schedule appointments;
● Conduct factual investigation and legal research;
● Assist in or develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients;
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● A paralegal certificate from an accredited institution;
● At least two years of administrative, customer service, or legal experience;
● Computer and data entry experience required;
● Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities, including experience working with low-income transgender people, people of color, and other marginalized populations
● Must possess the ability to support callers in crisis;
● Strong written and oral communication skills are essential;
● Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of programs, i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel.
● Experience with communication and workplace software (e.g., form development, email management, cloud databases, etc.)
● Coordinate pro bono program process from intake to referral to disposition;
● Assist in the recruitment, training, engagement of volunteer attorneys and paralegals;
● Coordinate in-house pro bono training program by processing requests for training and facilitating all pro bono recruitment trainings;
● Staff legal clinics and other community outreach events, including on evenings and weekends, as needed.
$50,000 to $55,000, based on experience
FreeState Justice offers a competitive benefits package. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement savings account, and 42 days of PTO (12 paid holidays, 20 days of vacation, and 10 days of sick and safe leave).
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and list of 1-3
references utilizing our online form found at www.freestate-justice.org/careers. More information
about the organization can be found at www.freestate-justice.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates will receive an email
confirming receipt of their application. Interviews will begin on a rolling basis.