Office Manager, Community Lawyering Initiative
Maryland Legal Aid
March 31, 2023
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
MLA announces a full-time office manager position available to qualified applicants in the Community Lawyering Initiative Unit located in Baltimore, Maryland. The office manager ensures that all administrative functions of the office are met; providing administrative assistance and supervising administrative staff; general office management; managing billing of the office; maintaining an accurate and organized filing system for all cases.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate, updated filing system for all cases, both open and closed.
- Order, document, store and generally maintain office supplies.
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail.
- Evaluate the work of those supervised on an ongoing basis.
- Assign and review work of administrative support staff in office.
- Answer and direct telephone calls.
- Draft client correspondence and other legal documents.
- Maintain office calendars for leave, court dates and meetings.
- Process personnel action forms to Human Resources.
- Perform such other duties as assigned and required to meet the administrative needs of the office.
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Professional and personable demeanor
- Proficiency with technology, including data entry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in handling a variety of high-volume workloads and prioritizing time sensitive tasks
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and case management software such as Legal Server
- Experience in law office procedures and management of office staff
The salary range for this position is $49,000 – $67,000. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k)-retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, hybrid work options and more!