Esperanza Center - Catholic Charities of Baltimore
February 9, 2021
Catholic Charities, the largest private non-profit provider of human services in Maryland, has a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment of 2,000 employees. We serve children and families, people living in poverty, individuals with intellectual disabilities, the immigrant community, and seniors. Year after year named as a Baltimore Top Workplace, we offer great benefits, generous paid time off, and provide career opportunities where you can make meaningful differences in the lives of others as we fulfill our mission to love, serve, teach and work for justice.
The Managing Attorney is responsible for the day to day management of the Immigration Legal Services (ILS) program at Esperanza Center including intake and case selection process, case management, appropriate documentation, fee collection, and grant writing. The Managing Attorney will maintain immigration software and client database, report on client outcomes, and monitor staff caseloads; will represent ILS and Esperanza Center at conferences, provide public education, and serve as a liaison to other service providers; Represents clients before USCIS; provides orientation and supervision to ILS staff and legal interns. This position is a member of the Esperanza Center leadership team.
The Managing Attorney is responsible for:
- Implement policies and procedures for case management including intake procedures, case selection and assignment, quality control of legal work, and case file organization.
- Maintain a billing and fee collection system and serve as liaison with the accounting department.
- Research and identify grant opportunities and write grant proposals and reports.
- Maintain a legal immigration software system and monitor the status of electronic case files.
- Provide monthly reports on program outcomes, caseloads, and finances.
- Supervise the ILS Pro Bono Project.
- Review cases for quality control assuring adequate documentation and legal sufficiency.
- Supervise and provide training opportunities for ILS staff, including attorneys, paralegals, social workers, and administrative assistants.
This position will require the following:
- A Law degree from an accredited law school and a License to practice law in at least one State, District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico required. Within 1 year of hire, required to pass the certification exam for admission to the Bar of Maryland.
- Four years of experience practicing immigration law, including representation in immigration court required.
- One to two years of supervisory or leadership experience required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and database management.
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to travel to other locations for court, training and other business. If driving a vehicle on agency business, must have a driver’s license with no more than 3 points.
Salary level starts at $74,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. We offer a wide range of benefits to meet the ever-changing needs of our employees including but not limited to:
• Vacation/sick/holiday pay
• 403(b) Retirement Plan with a discretionary employer contribution
How To Apply
Please apply on the Catholic Charities recruitment page at the following link. The posted title is “Manager Immigration Attorney – Bilingual in English and Spanish”.