Managing Attorney, Mental Health
Disability Rights Maryland
January 29, 2023
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) seeks an experiences full-time attorney to promote and advance the human and legal rights of people with disabilities as the manager of our Mental Health team. DRM, a private non-profit law firm, is a recognized leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland.
This position directly manages the legal work of the team and is a member of DRM’s management team. Responsibilities include helping to set legal priorities and develop and implement advocacy strategies for the teams, representing DRM on coalitions and commissions, and mentoring, supervising and supporting the professional development of staff attorneys, paralegals and advocates. This position also supports overall management and responsibility for compliance, including preparation and submission of grant reports with other members of the leadership team.
See disabilityrightsmd.org/careers for a full job description.
- J.D. Degrees from an accredited law school; licensed to practice law in Maryland or admission to practice in Maryland after sitting for the next available Bar Exam
- Demonstrated commitment to DRM’s core mission of advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities to self-determination, dignity, community integration, equal opportunity and freedom from discrimination
- A minimum of five years’ legal experience in positions of increasing responsibility; at least one year of experience providing direct supervision of legal work preferred
- Experience working on advocacy and policy initiatives and litigation
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet frequent deadlines
- Demonstrated initiative and good judgment
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and collaborate with DRM staff and colleagues in a team environment
- Ability to motivate and direct team staff
- Ability to travel within the state of Maryland
See full description at disabilityrightsmd.org/careers.
Competitive, depending on experience. The annual salary range for an attorney with 5-7 years’ experience is between $78,265 to $80,604 and depends on education level, experience, and special skills.
DRM offers a generous benefits package which includes excellent medical insurance, employer-paid dental, prescription, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as pre-tax savings plans, a retirement savings opportunity with generous employer contributions, and opportunities for telecommuting policy. DRM offers employee reimbursement for some or all of the cost of spouse or partner-paid health insurance premiums up to an established maximum amount. DRM also offers generous paid time off, including vacation, holidays, sick time, and more
How To Apply
E-mail resume, cover letter, a writing sample to Jobs@DisabilityRightsMD.org with “Managing Attorney” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Positions remain open until filled with priority given to applications received before February 24, 2023.
We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to advance the civil rights of persons with disabilities in Maryland.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. People of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply.