Disability Rights Maryland
January 4, 2022
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) seeks a passionate, experienced attorney to lead major litigation efforts by the organization to advance the human and legal rights of people with disabilities consistent with DRM’s vision and mission. We invite applications from attorneys who have a demonstrated commitment to disability and civil rights, and who would be interested in, and capable of, contributing to innovative litigation and policy advocacy in federal and state court and courts of appeal. The Litigation Counsel works closely with the Executive Director and Director of Legal Advocacy and collaborates with DRM’s direct service, policy and communications teams. The attorney must be an experienced litigator with a strong track-record of training, mentoring and supervising attorneys.
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) a private, non-profit law firm, is a leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in the workplace, neighborhoods and all aspects of community life. We seek to achieve lasting change for people with disabilities by using a full range of advocacy tools to champion the rights of people with disabilities to self-determination, dignity, equality, opportunity, and freedom from discrimination and harm. Our organization builds its work on strong partnerships with the communities we serve and community-based organizations.
- Approve, coordinate and monitor all complex litigation and major cases at the trial and appellate level, including litigation staffing, supports, retaining of experts, and co-counseling agreements. Identify other resources/requirements needed.
- Provide legal representation and/or lead or participate in litigation efforts through all phases of litigation, including motions practice, discovery, trial, brief writing, and oral argument (as appropriate).
- Identify litigation issues and collaborate with DRM’s legal teams to bring affirmative and impact litigation.
- Lead the development and implementation of legal strategies.
- Participate the DRM leadership team meetings as needed.
- Assume responsibility for current major litigation activities handled and/or supervised by the current litigation director.
- Collaborate with community-based organizations to identify cases/plaintiffs.
- Work with pro-bono partners and supervise DRM’s Pro Bono Coordinator.
- Communicate via media regarding litigation efforts.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed to practice law in Maryland or eligible for out of state admission.
- At least 10 years experience with state and federal court litigation or equivalent relevant experience.
- Ability to represent individuals in complex cases, including class action lawsuits, and to formulate and implement sophisticated legal strategies.
- Demonstrated commitment to lawyering in the public interest and a familiarity with the legal services community.
- Self-motivated and committed to civil liberties advocacy.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively on a variety of projects with lawyers, other staff members, and diverse community organizations and coalitions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in legal and non-legal settings with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Strong commitment to advancing the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Knowledge of and experience litigating disability law issues strongly preferred.
- Computer literacy and proficiency with software utilized to carry out job functions
- Ability to travel throughout the State of Maryland.
Salary range is $81,000 to $104,000 annually based on experience. DRM offers an excellent, comprehensive package of benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401K retirement plan with employer contribution, paid holidays and vacation and opportunities for telework.
How To Apply
Applications submitted by January 7, 2022 will be given priority, position remains open until filled. Email cover letter with resume and writing sample with “Litigation Counsel” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer. DRM values diversity. People of color, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply.
For more information about Disability Rights Maryland, please go to: www.Disability RightsMD.org