Legal Advocate, MCASA’s Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI)
Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA)
Silver Spring, Maryland + Temporarily remote
September 21, 2022
The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA), is seeking a full-time legal advocate (bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred); this position also has some administrative responsibilities related to law office management and provides legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and training & technical assistance to others working with survivors. Legal advocates report to the Senior Legal Advocate.
We believe we cannot successfully serve others if we do not take care of ourselves. MCASA staff are encouraged to practice self-care and are supported in finding a positive work-life balance. This position, along with the rest of the agency, will entail significant virtual work and allows for flexible scheduling. Most staff are working virtually and laptops and supplies are provided. MCASA does not anticipate resuming full-time in office work, however, there may be occasional meetings in person.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide high quality, culturally competent legal advocacy for survivors of sexual assault.
- Assist attorneys in representation of sexual assault survivors in a range of cases; these may include protective and peace orders, U-visa, family law, crime victim rights, education, employment and other cases.
- Increase SALI’s presence on social media and improve legal information available on MCASA’s agency-wide website.
- Coordinate and develop culturally competent outreach materials and arrange for appropriate translation of current SALI literature.
- Participate in forums and meetings relating to SALI activities.
- Conduct initial interviews (intakes) with survivors of sexual assault.
- Provide safety planning for survivors.
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials.
- Support effective agency communications including, for example, listservs, social media, e-newsletter, conference calls, etc.
- Collect data needed for grant reports, assist in preparation of grant applications and grant reports.
- Ensure compliance with grant objectives, goals, collection of data and reporting requirements.
- Assist in report preparation using SALI’s Legal Server database.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and working with legal interns.
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements.
- Comply with or assist others in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (legal ethics).
- Such other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney or Executive Director & Counsel.
- Commitment to complying with PPE recommendations including wearing a mask, social distancing, and sanitation. Flexibility to work off-site or on-site.
- Commitment to ending sexual violence.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Recent JDs considered only if committed to outreach and other responsibilities that may not fall under an attorney’s usual duties AND committed to non-attorney position for significant period of time. Other responsibilities will include administrative tasks related to office management.
- Experience working with survivors of sexual assault or other power-based violence such as domestic violence, child abuse, elder abuse, or stalking preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. Performing arts or debating experience preferred. Ability to communicate in person, by phone, via email, and in writing required.
- Fluent in English; fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Access to a car and valid drivers license; this position requires travel within the State of Maryland. Out of state travel required 1-3 times annually.
- Skilled and enthusiastic about developing ways to share legal and general information via technology, including social media and website.
- Ability to work remotely (equipment is provided by agency). Ability to work in office in Silver Spring Maryland when public health recommendations permit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Most MCASA staff work remotely, with MCASA provided laptops and office supplies. In person attendance for external meetings and court appearance may be required, and occasional in person MCASA meetings are possible. MCASA employees have the option of working in office space in Silver Spring, Maryland, subject to COVID restrictions and available work space. Staff may also be required to go to agency offices or other locations in Maryland to obtain client files, supplies, and the like.
Commitment to Diversity
MCASA is an equal opportunity employer. Its policy of nondiscrimination means that all employment decisions will be based on merit and without regard to factors unrelated to job performance, such as ethnicity, creed, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical, emotional or mental capacity.
Upper $40s DOE
How To Apply
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and position title in the subject.