Legal Advocate, Bilingual
Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI)
Silver Spring, Maryland + Temporarily remote
November 16, 2022
The Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA) is Maryland’s sexual assault coalition and includes the State’s rape crisis centers and others concerned with ending sexual violence. Our mission is to help prevent sexual assault, advocate for accessible, compassionate care for survivors of sexual violence, and work to hold offenders accountable.
We believe we cannot successfully serve others if we do not take care of ourselves. MCASA staff are encouraged to practice self-care and are supported in finding a positive work-life balance. This position, along with the rest of the agency, will entail significant virtual work and allows for flexible scheduling.
Employees are expected to be available to travel to the MCASA office in Silver Spring within 90 minutes or live within the State of Maryland. While many job duties may be performed virtually, some are in person. This may include on-site meetings, meetings with stakeholders or community members, court proceedings, or other in-person events. Employees may choose to work in the MCASA offices subject to COVID risk reduction protocols.
The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA), is seeking a full-time legal advocate (bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred); this position also has some administrative responsibilities related to law office management and provides legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and training & technical assistance to others working with survivors. Legal advocates report to the Senior Legal Advocate.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Provide high quality, culturally competent legal advocacy for survivors of sexual assault.
• Assist attorneys in representation of sexual assault survivors in a range of cases; these may include protective and peace orders, U-visa, family law, crime victim rights, education, employment, and other cases.
• Increase SALI’s presence on social media and improve legal information available on MCASA’s agency-wide website.
• Coordinate and develop culturally competent outreach materials and arrange for appropriate translation of current SALI literature.
• Participate in forums and meetings relating to SALI activities.
• Conduct initial interviews (intakes) with survivors of sexual assault.
• Provide safety planning for survivors.
• Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials.
• Support effective agency communications including, for example, listservs, social media, e-newsletter, conference calls, etc.
• Collect data needed for grant reports, assist in preparation of grant applications and grant reports.
• Ensure compliance with grant objectives, goals, collection of data and reporting requirements.
• Assist in report preparation using SALI’s Legal Server database.
• Assist in recruiting, training, and working with legal interns.
• Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements.
• Comply with or assist others in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (legal ethics).
• Such other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney or Executive Director & Counsel.
• Commitment to complying with PPE recommendations including wearing a mask, social distancing, and sanitation. Flexibility to work off-site or on-site.
Full description: https://mcasa.org/who-we-are/jobs-internships
• Commitment to ending sexual violence.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Recent JDs considered only if committed to outreach and other responsibilities that may not fall under an attorney’s usual duties AND committed to non-attorney position for significant period of time. Other responsibilities will include administrative tasks related to office management.
• Experience working with survivors of sexual assault or other power-based violence such as domestic violence, child abuse, elder abuse, or stalking preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills. Performing arts or debating experience preferred. Ability to communicate in person, by phone, via email, and in writing required.
• Fluent in English; fluency in Spanish required.
• Access to a car and valid drivers license; this position requires travel within the State of Maryland. Out of state travel required 1-3 times annually.
• Skilled and enthusiastic about developing ways to share legal and general information via technology, including social media and website.
• Ability to work remotely (equipment is provided by agency). Ability to work in office in Silver Spring Maryland when public health recommendations permit.
$46,000 – $49,000 per year
How To Apply
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include your name and position title in the subject.