Guardianship Staff Attorney
Maryland Legal Aid
July 28, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) announces an immediate opening for full-time Guardianship staff attorney-floater position in the Statewide Advocacy Unit located in Baltimore, Maryland. This position handles all functions related to legal advocacy with a focus on adult guardianship cases. The staff attorneys’ responsibilities are for representation of Indigent Adults involved in Adult Protective Services and Adult Public Guardianship Review Board (APS), in the various Circuit Courts, review hearings, appeals and other related matters. The staff attorney must attend required trainings for the APS practice and participate in outreach activities and clinics. Participation in APS workgroup court meetings, Legal Aid Task Forces, and other internal Maryland Legal Aid committees is required. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients as assigned by the court.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews/visits with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis and legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, and counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction. Strong knowledge of WestLaw Edge research.
$57,900 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Guardianship Staff Attorney Floater using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**