Maryland Legal Services Corporation
Baltimore, MD - Hybrid
January 4, 2023
Summary: Maryland Legal Services Corporation, a nonprofit, statewide grantmaker, seeks a full-time finance manager to perform financial, human resources and other administrative duties. MLSC’s mission is to ensure low-income Marylanders have access to stable, efficient and effective civil legal assistance through the distribution of funds to nonprofit legal services organizations. MLSC has just undergone a period of growth and now grants more than $30 million each year in support of civil legal aid. Now is an exciting time to join the organization and leave your mark on our important work.
Our office is in downtown Baltimore. Following an onboarding period, the finance manager may work in a hybrid format. The finance manager reports to the executive director.
- Perform all financial duties, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciliations, reporting and deposits.
- Manage human resources functions, including coordinating with external vendors for payroll (Paychex) and benefits (State of Maryland, insurance broker, retirement plan vendor).
- Work with grants team for grantee payments and to review grantee financial policies and audits.
- Work with Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts (IOLTA) team for receipt of IOLTA funds and some compliance activities.
- Assist with management of grants received by MLSC.
- Monitor cash flow and investment accounts.
- Prepare reports for board meetings and staff board investment committee. Serve as liaison to investment manager.
- Prepare documents for annual financial audit and semi-regular legislative audits.
- Oversee organization insurance policies and vendor contracts.
- Work with executive director to prepare annual budget.
- Monitor ongoing accounting and compliance standards and update MLSC policies/procedures as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field; CPA preferred
- 5+ years of related finance and human resources experience; experience in a nonprofit setting a plus
- Experience with accounting software (QuickBooks experience preferred)
- Experience with state and/or federal grants preferred
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to maintaining internal controls
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to maintain documentation
- Ability to prioritize and quickly respond to adapting needs
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work both independently and with a team
- Experience with standard office software and technology, and comfort working within a virtual workspace (MLSC uses Microsoft Office and SharePoint)
- Comfort working in a hybrid environment
$75,000-$88,000 salary depending on experience and skills, plus generous benefits package including health, dental, long-term disability, retirement plan and organization-paid parking/transit allowance.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Deb Seltzer, executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention where you saw this posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but please apply by January 25, 2023 for priority consideration.