Maryland Legal Aid
July 28, 2022
Maryland Legal Aid, a nonprofit, legal services law firm, is seeking an Executive Assistant to provide administrative support to the Executive Office. The Executive Assistant exercises considerable discretion and judgment and deals with sensitive and confidential matters providing critical support to both the Executive Director and the Chief Operating Officer in a wide range of activities and functions. In that role, the Executive Assistant must be able to function with independence and anticipate what is needed in a variety of situations before being directed.
Specifically, the Executive Assistant manages the day-to-day administration of the Executive Office, including, but not limited to, maintaining calendars and filing systems; responding to inquiries; receiving visitors; scheduling appointments, meetings, conference calls, interviews, and special events; maintaining financial records pertaining to expense reports and credit cards; coordinating travel; preparing correspondence and other documents; drafting and distributing agendas for board meetings and providing support for board members; ordering supplies and office equipment; managing the flow and distribution of mail to and from the Executive Office; and other duties as assigned.
Candidates should have experience as an executive assistant in a business, government or nonprofit setting and possess excellent interpersonal skills as well as written and oral communications skills. The successful candidate will be proficient in Microsoft Office suite and be able to use, navigate and integrate technology and platforms used at MLA. The candidate should also be able to prioritize duties and tasks and exercise discretion, sound judgment, and confidentiality in all aspects of work. A passion for the mission of MLA is highly desired. Some flexibility with respect to schedule is available.
About Maryland Legal Aid
Established in 1911, Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) is a nonprofit, legal services law firm providing free, civil legal services to the state’s low-income and most vulnerable communities. MLA serves Baltimore City and Maryland’s 23 counties from 12 full-service offices and handles a wide range of legal matters involving family, housing, government benefits, healthcare, elder, education, employment, and consumer law. Through a number of special projects, MLA also represents children in the foster care system, homeowners facing foreclosure, migrant and seasonal farm workers, nursing home and assisted living residents, mental health patients, and veterans seeking benefits and assistance with related legal issues. MLA’s services range from information and referrals and brief legal advice to extended legal representation, litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts, community education, policy advocacy, and broad-based impact work. In addition, MLA partners with community-based organizations and allied professionals to deliver legal services in non-traditional settings. Last year, MLA served more than 120,000 individuals.
Reports to: the Executive Director and the Chief Operating Officer
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule and coordinate appointments, meetings, conference calls, interviews, and special events;
- Maintain calendars and an efficient and effective filing system;
- Communicate with internal and external constituents on a daily basis, including board members, members of the legal community and public;
- Handle confidential correspondence and files;
- Respond to all inquiries to the Executive Office and receive visitors;
- Arrange travel arrangements and handle reimbursements for the Executive Director and the Chief Operating Office and other senior leadership as needed;
- Order supplies and office equipment;
- Prepare and distribute agendas for meetings;
- Prepare correspondence and other documents for review, signature, and distribution/mailing;
- Manage the flow and distribution of mail and other documents to and from the Chief Counsel and Deputy Chief Counsels;
- Maintain financial records pertaining to expense reports and credit cards;
- Maintain working relationships with all members of the management team and staff;
- Assist other management staff as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five years of executive assistant experience in a business, law firm, government agency, or nonprofit setting;
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as written and oral communications skills;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite and the ability to use technology and platforms used at MLA;
- Ability to prioritize duties and tasks and exercise tact, discretion, sound judgment, and confidentiality in all aspects of work.
- Ability to learn the role and anticipate the needs of the Executive Office.
- BA preferred
$60,000 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Maryland Legal Aid is committed to equity, justice and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, MLA seeks to hire employees from diverse backgrounds and perspectives that are reflective of the communities we serve, including people with disabilities, people of color, women and members of traditionally underrepresented groups.
Apply for Executive Assistant using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**