Domestic Violence/Family Law Staff Attorney
Silver Spring, Maryland
October 29, 2021
- Provide legal representation and advice in civil protection orders and family law cases (child custody, child support, and divorce) in district and circuit courts in Maryland, primarily (but not exclusively) focused on Prince George’s County and Montgomery County;
- Advocate on behalf of clients in related criminal matters;
- Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing changes to laws, policies and court rules and procedures;
- Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
- Train area service providers and government agencies, including law enforcement;
- Conduct outreach presentations to potential clients and partner agencies;
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services and Immigration staff to ensure the provision of holistic services;
- Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please see the full job description: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/786742/Ayuda/Staff-Attorney—Domestic-ViolenceFamily-Law-Program.
- Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- Must be an attorney in good standing with the Maryland bar or immediately eligible for admission to the Maryland bar.
- Fluency in Spanish or another language commonly spoken among immigrants in Maryland strongly preferred. Languages commonly spoken by our clients in Maryland include, but are not limited to, Urdu, Amharic, Arabic, and French.
- Strong legal, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Legal experience in family law or domestic violence protective order law a plus.
- Experience working with low-income immigrants or survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or other trauma a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice.
The salary is commensurate with experience and consistent with Ayuda’s attorney salary scale. Attorneys with one full year of relevant experience practicing family law, for example, would start at $61,000, whereas an attorney with two years of such relevant experience would start at $66,000. Ayuda’s compensation package includes robust benefits such as medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life, and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day in addition to generous paid sick, personal, and annual leave. This position is exempt for overtime purposes. This position is eligible for part-time telework consistent with Ayuda’s telework policies.