Director, Senior Legal Services
The Bar Association of Baltimore City
March 14, 2023
Senior Legal Services (“SLS”) is a joint program of The Bar Association of Baltimore City and the Baltimore Bar Foundation. SLS provides vital pro bono legal services to low-income seniors, aged 60 and over, in Baltimore City. We advise and represent clients on a broad range of civil legal matters, including estate planning, consumer and debt collection issues, landlord/tenant disputes, housing matters, foreclosure prevention, probate, and guardianship. The mission of SLS is to provide quality legal services to an underserved population at risk of losing resources to empower them to age in place and thrive in their community.
Job Duties Include:
- Supervise ~5 staff in a practice focused on poverty concerns of low-income Baltimore City residents aged 60 and older with an emphasis on advance planning, housing retention, and elder justice.
- Manage all aspects of non-profit civil legal services practice with an eye toward providing equal access to justice in light of historical disparity of opportunity.
- Manage grants administration for annual budget of ~$300,000 to ensure compliance with conditions of a variety of federal, state, and foundation grants.
- Engage with local bench, bar, and partner organizations to foster positive image and working relationships.
- Familiarity with legal basics in the following areas: Baltimore City landlord/tenant, estate planning, peace/protective orders, civil procedure especially as to the Baltimore City District Court.
- 3 years litigation experience
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Experience with grant writing/compliance
- Ability to effectively communicate complex legal issues to unsophisticated parties.
- Experience working with indigent populations.
- Demonstrated commitment to pro bono or public interest work.
- Ability to travel to various locations around Baltimore City.
- All candidates must be an attorney and barred in Maryland.
Salary range of $65,000-$70,000. The following benefits package is provided:
- One (1) week vacation after the first six months of employment, Two (2) weeks after the first year of employment
- Seven (7) personal days/year
- Twelve (12) holidays per year
- Health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, after a three-month probationary period
- SIMPLE IRA plan with 3% employer match, after one year of employment
- Working travel mileage reimbursement and paid parking
How To Apply
Email a resume cover letter, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “SLS Director Application” for consideration. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
SLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.