Director of Development and Communications
Women's Law Center of Maryland
January 9, 2023
The Women’s Law Center of Maryland, Inc. is a statewide non-profit legal services organization, dedicated to ensuring the physical safety, economic security, and bodily autonomy of women in Maryland. We work towards our goal by increasing access to justice in our legal system through multiple legal projects. Our direct legal services projects provide free attorneys in family law matters, protective order hearings, and immigration proceedings for survivors of intimate partner violence; our hotlines assist callers across the state in family and employment law matters; and our advocacy work covers the expanse of our mission through legislative and judicial selections advocacy. To learn more, visit our web site at www.wlcmd.org.
Situated in our administrative office in Towson, MD, the Director of Development and Communications plays a key administrative role in achieving our mission, including interacting with donors, the WLC Board of Directors, the public, and volunteers. While we have a policy allowing for hybrid-remote work, the position will be expected to work primarily in the office for an initial probationary period. The Director of Development and Communications will perform the tasks required to implement the development (fundraising) and communications plan and strategies, will coordinate the work of other Women’s Law Center staff as necessary to support successful implementation of the plan, and will facilitate the Board’s efforts to raise funds.
Membership, Individual Giving and Major Gift Solicitation:
- Donor cultivation – build on existing relationships to grow support (specifically their level of giving) from current donors
- Donor acquisition – identify new individual prospects and grow WLC’s audience of supporters
- Planned giving – working with the board’s development committee, define and launch a planned giving program, providing donors with an opportunity to make substantial and lasting gifts in support of WLC’s vision
- Major giving – strengthen relationships with major donors and grow WLC’s base of this level support
- Membership – draft written materials to support development activities, coordinate and implement individual giving campaigns, including membership mailings, solicitations, thank-a-thons, pro bono giving, and workplace giving efforts
Private Foundation/Corporate/Law Firm Giving and Grants Solicitation:
- Research, identify, prioritize, and solicit grants, businesses, and law firms that are likely to provide financial support for WLC’s mission.
- Perform outreach and develop relationships with potential grantors and donors
- Cultivate existing private foundation and grantor relationships
- Securing support and substantially increase the number of businesses providing financial support and the level of corporate contributions
- Coordinate and implement fundraising and cultivation events, including two signature events (Annual Celebration & Awards Ceremony and October Domestic Violence Awareness Month event) and occasional other events. Responsibilities include logistics, promotions, coordination of ticket sales, and sponsorship solicitations.
- Coordinate development of an annual fundraising strategy.
- Facilitate board and volunteer participation in cultivating, soliciting, and acknowledging donors.
- Provide staff support to relevant board committees, including development committee and communications committee.
- Provide regular reports to the board regarding development activities.
- Implement communications, social media, public relations, and media outreach plan.
- Write, edit, and schedule publication of communications, including social media posts and maintenance of website.
- Promote events, policies, and programming through various media outlets
- Draft and distribute press releases
- Assist the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer to develop and produce communication materials such as annual report and brochures.
Full description: http://www.wlcmd.org/employment/
- Minimum 3 years development experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated competency and experience implementing a broad-based fundraising strategy
- Excellent computer skills required, including proficiency in fundraising software and Microsoft Office 365. Familiarity with Donor Perfect, Adobe InDesign, Constant Contact, Canva, and WordPress preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Energetic, assertive, creative, and organized with rigorous attention to details
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks and deadlines
- Personal initiative and ability to work independently while comfortable in a collaborative work environment
- Commitment to women’s legal rights and gender justic
- Prior non-profit experience preferred
- Full COVID-19 vaccination required
$68,000 with excellent benefits, including unlimited PTO, paid family leave, simple IRA, parking, and more
How To Apply
Apply: Email letter of interest and resume to The Women’s Law Center of Maryland via: firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify Director of Development and Communications in the subject line.
The Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. WLC considers the diversity of its workforce to be vital to our organization’s success in meeting its mission. We strongly encourage applicants from all cultures, races, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, age, gender, and physical abilities to apply. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is our policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics, actual or perceived domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, caregiver status, or any other category protected by law.