Disability Rights Maryland
September 8, 2022
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM), an established, stable non-profit, seeks an energetic development professional to manage, lead and grow DRM’s communications and development efforts. The Director serves as a member of DRM’s senior leadership team and will play a key role in building on DRM’s past successful efforts to grow and diversify our funding.
DRM, established over 40 years ago, is a private non-profit law firm and a recognized leader in disability rights. We are the Congressionally-mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland and provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Communications and Development Team
Responsibilities Include: This is a pivotal leadership position at DRM responsible for working closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors to further develop and implement innovative and proactive fundraising strategies.
• Lead the development of goals, strategies, timetables and budgets for all giving and acquisition fundraising,
• Lead initiatives and projects, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board Fundraising Committee, to identify and attract new donors, retain and support current donors, and increase annual fundraising revenues,
• Work with the Development Team to seek creative connections between DRM programs, staff and events that will engage prospects and donors,
• Plan and implement donor engagement activities, including special events and presentations to expand awareness of the organization’s mission,
• Ensure all development and communications policies and procedures comply with ethical standards and state fundraising requirements.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director serve as a contact for the Board of Directors and work with members to encourage their own personal giving and fundraising efforts,
• Provide leadership and support for the Board Development Committee and Nominations Committee,
• Partner with the Executive Director, Board Executive and Nominations Committee to recruit, onboard and support board members effective in fundraising and fiscal oversight.
• Manage operation of the development database, including accurate and precise record-keeping of gift transactions,
• Continuously and consistently support revenue generation through data cleansing, querying/reporting, list management and analysis,
• Ensure the accuracy and integrity of gift and constituent data and reporting,
• Ensure timely preparation of gift receipts, campaign reports and financial reports,
• Manipulate constituent data to produce segmented recipient lists for targeted solicitations,
• Proactively mine donor data and keep current with emerging trends.
Gift and Donor Data Management
• Ensure accurate and timely records of revenue received from various sources including online and offline credit card transactions, stock gifts, wire transfers and checks received in-house,
• Manage timely and accurate gift acknowledgments, changes of address, research of incorrect addresses and other updates to constituent records,
• Conduct biographical, financial and philanthropic research on individuals and/or institutional prospects and donors,
• Design and Implement Development initiatives and activities: including annual Gala and special events, Foundation, Major Gifts, Firm/Corporate, Direct Marketing and other duties as assigned.
Development and Communications Management
• Create and oversee fundraising content for DRM’s website, social media and e-communications including e-newsletters and e-appeals,
• Lead and manage communications and development staff to ensure that development and communications strategies and projects are executed successfully,
• Provide support to Communications and Development Specialist with donor related social media posts, e-newsletters, annual report, event invitations and programs and all related promotional material,
• Work with Executive Director and Development and Communications Team to create donor focused e-newsletters
• Minimum 5 years’ experience fundraising,
• Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail; ability to adapt to quickly changing needs and be flexible,
• Strong interpersonal skills including capacity to collaborate and work well with diverse internal and external teams and communicate timely and effectively,
• Ability to demonstrate sound independent judgment, and maintain confidentiality in a law firm environment,
• High degree of flexibility and a positive attitude,
• Ability to rapidly learn and become proficient in DRM’s database, Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP) along with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.,
• Prior experience working in development for a non-profit organization or demonstrated interest or background in public interest work,
• Motivation and capacity to quickly learn issues pertinent to disability rights,
• Ability to travel throughout the State of Maryland.
• A passion for social justice and commitment to improving the lives of low-income people with disabilities through legal advocacy,
• A record of personally securing individual major gifts,
• Proficient in use of “Salesforce Non-Profit Package” software
• Experience working directly with persons with disabilities;
• Life experience with a disability;
• Sensitivity to persons with disabilities and individuals from culturally diverse communities.
The annual salary range is between $75,000 to $90,000 and depends on education level, experience, and special skills.
DRM offers a generous benefits package which includes excellent medical insurance, employer-paid dental, prescription, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as pre-tax savings plans, a retirement savings opportunity with generous employer contributions, and opportunities for telecommuting.
DRM offers employee reimbursement for the cost of spouse or partner-paid health insurance premiums up to an established maximum amount. DRM also offers generous paid time off, including vacation, holidays, sick time, and more.
How To Apply
E-MAIL resume, cover letter, a writing sample to jobs@DisabilityRightsMD.org with “Development Director Position” in the subject line. This position remains open until filled. Priority will be given to applications received prior to September 30, 2022.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer. DRM values diversity. People of color, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply.