Deputy Director Walk-In Services – MCLA (2034)
Maryland Center for Legal Assistance
June 5, 2022
The Maryland Center for Legal Assistance, LLC (MCLA) seeks to close the gap in legal services in Maryland by providing brief legal advice from lawyers to unrepresented litigants with civil legal issues. MCLA, through a contract with the Maryland Judiciary, operates Court Help Centers throughout Maryland to provide legal advice to civil litigants in person and over phone, chat, email and videoconference.
Responsible to: Managing Director
Supervision: Directly supervises eight supervising attorneys in offices in Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Charles, Frederick, Montgomery, Prince George’s, and Wicomico, Counties, as well as other offices as directed by the Managing Director.
Essential Function: The Deputy Director Walk-In Services reports to the Managing Director and assists in providing direct oversight and overall management of delivery of high-quality, high-volume, brief legal advice to litigants seeking assistance at Walk-In Court Help Centers.
The Deputy Director’s duties include:
- Supervising work of supervising attorneys and providing feedback, formal and informal, as needed.
- Assisting with hiring, data reporting, developing internal resources, and trainings.
- Building relationships with law firms, solo practitioners, bar associations, law students, and other professionals to recruit pro bono attorneys.
- Coordinating with MCLA’s supervising attorneys to identify and attend outreach events to promote Court Help Centers.
- While primary hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, staffing evening hours on occasion and being on-call for supervisory issues as needed.
- Supporting other MCLA offices as needed.
- Providing brief legal advice and information to self-represented litigants in connection with civil legal issues, including, but not limited to, Landlord and Tenant Matters, Civil Claims, Expungement and Shielding of Records, Consumer Matters, Return of Property, Domestic Violence/Peace Orders, Family Law, and Foreclosure.
- Assisting self-represented litigants in drafting their pleadings and motions, preparing for trial, completing court forms, and understanding court documents and the law.
- Making referrals to appropriate legal services organizations, agencies, and lawyer referral services when appropriate.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of Maryland.
- Five or more years of legal experience with significant supervisory experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Mentoring and teaching skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
$91, 400 and up depending on experience.
How To Apply
Apply for Deputy Director Walk-In Services – Annapolis using the link below:
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER