Contract Staff Attorney
Mid-Shore Pro Bono
Eastern Shore, Maryland
February 11, 2021
Mid-Shore Pro Bono’s mission is to connect low income individuals and families in need of civil legal help with volunteer attorneys and community resources. MSPB provides free and reduced fee legal services to low and middle-income individuals and families on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Mid-Shore Pro Bono seeks to hire a public interest minded staff attorney to provide legal services to low-income clients seeking assistance with a range of civil matters, primarily family law and housing. Position is being offered initially as a contract, with the potential to grow into a full time salaried position depending on funding.
- Provide legal advice, guidance, and direct representation for civil legal issues, primarily family and housing law.
- Assist clients with document drafting and document review.
- Educate clients about their legal rights, navigating the legal system, and how to access community resources.
- Conduct initial intake interviews, review new cases, assist with case placement, and maintain detailed records in MSPB’s case management systems (Legal Trak and Law Logix).
- Participate in local outreach and education efforts.
- Work collaboratively with a dynamic professional team to ensure timely and accurate case placement, and closure of legal matters.
- J.D. and admission to Maryland bar
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work
- Minimum of 1 year of legal experience preferred
- Strong administrative skills, attention to detail, and ability to work independently
- Experience with or interest in general civil legal practice and willingness to learn new areas of practice as needed
- Ability to work with professional staff and clients with diverse backgrounds
How To Apply
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Meredith Lathbury Girard, Esq., managing attorney: email@example.com as soon as possible. Position will remain open until filled. Position begins immediately.