Disability Rights Maryland
May 2, 2022
If you are interested in meaningful work protecting and promoting the civil and human rights of persons with disabilities around the state Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) has an opportunity for you!
DRM seeks a talented communications professional with 1-3 years of relevant experience to manage DRM’s external communication activities, including message development, social media, and website content. This position reports to the Development Manager and interacts with DRM’s management team to create targeted communications to a variety of audiences in order to increase the organization’s overall visibility and engagement.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Manage DRM’s digital communications platforms, including DRM’s website and social media.
- Produce and publish DRM’s communications and outreach materials including press releases, newsletters, and brochures.
- Assist in the development of strategic communications to increase DRM’s visibility; collaborate with staff to develop and implement media strategies that raise public awareness of disability rights issues and DRM’s work, and foster positive images of people with disabilities.
- Maintain database of media contacts and appearances.
- Aid with fundraising activities, including but not limited to production and mailing/emailing of appeals, materials for annual fundraising gala such as press releases and sponsorship packets, and ensure accurate processing of appropriate gift acknowledgements.
- Be actively engaged in nonprofit community of communications and development professionals in Baltimore and throughout Maryland.
- Periodically travel and attend evening and weekend events.
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM), a private, non-profit law firm, is a leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in all aspects of community life.
Our staff are collaborative, collegial and committed to the well-being of the communities we serve and one another. Our workplace is flexible and we place a high value on diversity and inclusion, both as an organization and individually.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 - 3 years relevant experience or Associate’s degree with substantial relevant experience equivalent to Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent writing skills, ability to edit, revise and give/receive feedback on writing.
- Strong computer skills and software knowledge; familiarity with internet, website and social media trends and opportunities related to communications and fundraising; proficiency utilizing related technology, including donor databases, Microsoft Office, social media platforms, e-mail marketing systems and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign).
- Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail; ability to adapt to quickly changing needs and be flexible.
- Strong interpersonal skills including capacity to collaborate and work well with diverse internal and external teams and communicate timely and effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate sound independent judgment, and maintain confidentiality in a law firm environment.
- Strong skills in content development, an ability to identify story ideas and translate complex legal information into versatile text or visual narrative for multiple audiences.
- A passion for social justice and commitment to improving the lives of low-income people with disabilities through legal advocacy; motivation and capacity to quickly learn issues pertinent to disability rights.
The annual salary range is between $45,000 to $55,000 and depends on education level, experience, and special skills.
DRM offers a generous benefits package which includes excellent medical insurance, employer-paid dental, prescription, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as pre-tax savings plans, a retirement savings opportunity with generous employer contributions, and opportunities for telecommuting. DRM offers employee reimbursement for the cost of spouse or partner-paid health insurance premiums up to an established maximum amount. DRM also offers generous paid time off, including vacation, holidays, sick time, and more.
How To Apply
E-mail resume, cover letter, a writing sample to Jobs@DisabilityRightsMD.org with “Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
We are looking for thoughtful, personalized cover letters that demonstrate the applicant’s qualifications, work style and interest in being part of a team working to advance the civil rights of persons with disabilities in Maryland.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Positions remain open until filled with priority given to applications received before May 16, 2022.
DRM is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. People of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply