Disability Rights Maryland
January 4, 2022
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) has an exciting opportunity available for an individual that possess a strong communications background and is eager to be a part of DRM’s team protecting and promoting the civil and human rights of persons with disabilities. The Communications Associate will be responsible for DRM’s external communication activities, including message development and website content. This position reports to the Development Manager Director and interacts with DRM’s management staff on communications and resource development.
Disability Rights Maryland (DRM) a private, non-profit law firm, is a leader in disability rights and the Congressionally mandated Protection and Advocacy organization for individuals with disabilities in Maryland. We provide free legal services and advocacy to persons with disabilities in Maryland. DRM envisions a world where people with disabilities are fully included in the workplace, neighborhoods and all aspects of community life. We seek to achieve lasting change for people with disabilities by using a full range of advocacy tools to champion the rights of people with disabilities to self-determination, dignity, equality, opportunity, and freedom from discrimination and harm.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manage DRM’s digital communications platforms, including DRM’s website and social media.
- Produce and publish DRM’s communications and outreach materials including press releases, newsletters, and brochures.
- Assist in the development of strategic communications to increase DRM’s visibility; collaborate with staff to develop and implement media strategies that raise public awareness of disability rights issues and DRM’s work, and foster positive images of people with disabilities.
- Maintain database of media contacts and appearances.
- Provide support for fundraising activities, including but not limited to production and mailing/emailing of appeals, materials for annual fundraising gala such as press releases and sponsorship packets, and ensure accurate processing of appropriate gift acknowledgements.
- Be actively engaged in nonprofit community of communications and development professionals in Baltimore and throughout Maryland.
- Periodically travel and attend evening and weekend events.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 – 2 years relevant experience or Associate’s degree with substantial relevant experience equivalent to Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent writing skills, ability to edit, revise and give/receive feedback on writing.
- Strong computer skills and software knowledge; familiarity with internet, website and social media trends and opportunities related to communications and fundraising; proficiency utilizing related technology, including donor databases, Microsoft Office, social media platforms, e-mail marketing systems and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign).
- Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail; ability to adapt to quickly changing needs and be flexible.
- Strong interpersonal skills including capacity to collaborate and work well with diverse internal and external teams and communicate timely and effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate sound independent judgment, and maintain confidentiality in a law firm environment.
- Strong skills in content development, an ability to identify story ideas and translate complex legal information into versatile text or visual narrative for multiple audiences.
- A passion for social justice and commitment to improving the lives of low-income people with disabilities through legal advocacy; motivation and capacity to quickly learn issues pertinent to disability rights.
DRM offers a salary commensurate to experience and education, salary range $45,000 to $50,000. DRM offers employment benefits which includes generous leave, health, dental, life insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution.
How To Apply
Apply with cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and writing sample via email with “Communications Associate” in the subject line to:
Priority will be given to applications submitted by January 7, 2020, position remains open until filled
Individuals with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQIA+, individuals and others who contribute to staff diversity are especially encouraged to apply. DRM is an Equal Opportunity employer.