Chief Attorney – Community Lawyering Initiative
Maryland Legal Aid
April 19, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
This position provides direct supervision, program guidance, innovation and leadership for Maryland Legal Aid’s Community Lawyering Initiative. This groundbreaking initiative focuses on providing civil legal services to eligible clients in the communities in which they live and work. Services are provided through legal clinics and outreach at local libraries, job placement centers, places of worship, medical facilities, schools and other community institutions. Emphasis is placed on partnering with established local entities throughout the state to mobilize community resources and holistically address client needs. The Chief Attorney reports directly to a Deputy Chief Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide positive leadership to a staff that consists of a supervising attorney, staff attorneys, paralegals, law clerks and administrative staff currently serving communities across the state of Maryland;
- Lead hiring efforts to attract talented staff who have a commitment to the mission of MLA and the goals of the CLI unit;
- Build a cohesive, supportive team that works well with one another, develops objectives and priorities for the unit, and maintains open communication;
- Ensure that effective, competent legal assistance is provided to low-income clients in an efficient, zealous, client-centered and compassionate manner;
- Conduct impactful and innovative advocacy designed to address systemic problems affecting low-income persons;
- Guide the professional development of staff, including co-counseling of cases; reviewing substantive legal work; providing meaningful assessments and evaluation of advocacy efforts, caseloads and productivity; and addressing training needs;
- Carry a caseload commensurate with the Chief’s expertise and that accounts for managerial responsibilities for the CLI unit;
- Participate in statewide task forces and statewide advocacy efforts;
- Develop expertise in communities across the state and target outreach, education, and advocacy efforts toward the provision of services directly in underserved communities and institutions;
- Engage with and prioritize relationships with community leaders;
- Cultivate effective relationships with the judiciary and the private bar;
- Lead efforts to increase pro bono representation of clients;
- Assist with MLA’s resource development efforts, including, but not limited to, identifying possible funding sources, making presentations to funders, and drafting grant applications and progress reports;
- Address client grievances; and
- Assist MLA’s Executive leadership in other efforts as needed and perform such other and further duties assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
J.D. degree and admission to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. A minimum of five years of legal experience and at least three years of management experience. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Familiarity with case management software and Office 365. Demonstrated commitment to civil or public service and involvement in the community. Leadership experience with innovative programs required.
$90,515 and up depending on experience
How To Apply
Apply for Chief Attorney – Community Lawyering Initiative using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER