Bi-lingual Paralegal/Legal Advocate
Sexual Assault/Spouse Abuse Resource Center, Inc.
Bel Air, Maryland
June 23, 2020
The Sexual Assault/Spouse Abuse Resource Center, Inc. seeks a bi-lingual (Spanish) paralegal to join our Legal Services Program to assist victims in obtaining protection through the courts, divorce, custody, and immigration relief. Experience working with immigration preferred. Legal experience required. Full-time, non-profit grant funded position with benefits.
The Legal Advocate/Paralegal acts as the primary point of contact for clients accessing the Legal Services Program, by advising clients as to legal rights and options, and assisting attorneys with the preparation of legal case by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Advocate for the clients involved with the civil, immigration, and criminal justice system by:
o conducting intake and crisis-counseling sessions and maintaining accurate client records;
o consulting with the Director of Legal Services and legal staff on client needs;
o providing court accompaniment to clients
o performing other duties as assigned by the Director of Legal Services.
• Gathers evidence in protective order, divorce, custody, immigration, and other cases to assist staff attorneys in formulating a defense or initiating legal action, including but not limited to issuing and serving subpoenas, traveling to retrieve evidence/documents from relevant agencies
• Assists staff attorneys with all aspects of case including document preparation, copying, scanning, faxing, and filing/e-filing with court clerks.
• Maintains accurate and up-to-date records and statistics on all clients.
• Meet regularly with the Director of Legal Services to discuss cases, procedures and problems.
• Assumes responsibility of scheduled and unscheduled Helpline calls.
• Assist with unscheduled clients/walk-ins.
• Assist with clients needing to utilize the pantry or court clothing closet.
• Interprets for Spanish-speaking clients as needed (immigration advocate only).
• Translate documents from Spanish to English (immigration advocate only).
• Providing coordination for the Economic Empowerment program as assigned.
• Collaborates in the auditing and closing process of inactive clients.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelors Degree, Associates Degree in paralegal studies, or high school diploma plus 3 years relevant experience. Knowledge of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. Knowledge of civil, criminal, immigration, and domestic law.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Completion of SARC’s 26 hour Basic Crisis Response Training. Paralegal Certificate preferred but not required. Valid Driver’s License required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety plans, legal pleadings, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with clients or employees of organization. Excellent listening skills. Immigration legal advocate/paralegal must possess these abilities in both English and Spanish.
Starting at $33,000 per year plus benefits
How To Apply
Submit resume to email@example.com