Attorney, Unaccompanied Child Project
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
Silver Spring, MD 20902, USA
November 9, 2022
At Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, your knowledge and service in areas such as immigrants and refugees, mental health, social work, employment and adult education, legal and financial services, health care, food assistance, shelter and housing, developmental disabilities and prison outreach can make a profound difference in the lives of many. Through more than 50 programs across the district and five surrounding counties, Catholic Charities is opening doors to help and hope. At CCADW, we continue to build an inclusive culture that celebrates a diverse workforce. We offer so much more than just a job. We offer careers. We take pride in our “promote from within” culture. We offer professional development, a comprehensive benefits package, a hybrid work model with both remote and in-office work, and a passion for building and motivating world class, high performing teams. Explore your career opportunity with Catholic Charities. Join us in Inspiring Hope and Building Futures.
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington values the safety of our employees, our clients, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are up to date with your COVID vaccinations, including the booster dose or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington.
The Attorney provides legal advice and representation in accord with the best practice of the profession in matters involving unaccompanied children, and assists in recruiting, mentoring, and training pro bono attorneys in these matters. The position assists the Director of Immigration Legal Services with all internal and external reporting and with the supervision of assigned interns/volunteers. The position works collaboratively with social work case managers to ensure clients are referred for holistic services as appropriate.
- Interview individuals seeking legal assistance and advise the client as to possible options through proper interpretation of current laws.
- Provide ongoing legal representation to the client commencing with the initial intake interview, drafting of documents, correspondence and client applications/petitions.
- Assess need for pro bono representation. If pro bono representation is needed and the individual is eligible for immigration relief, refer case write up to the Pro Bono Team.
- Assist the Pro Bono Team in recruiting, mentoring, and training pro bono attorneys for unaccompanied children’s cases, and assist in matching these cases for pro bono representation.
- Screen for need for navigator services. Refer individuals to Newcomer Network navigators as appropriate when additional resources or case management services are needed.
- Conduct outreach activities in the community related to legal issues.
- Assist with the supervision of assigned interns/volunteers.
- Ensure the timely submission of all external and internal program reports.
- Serve as liaison between the program and community partners.
- Complete Continuing Legal Education, in addition to all licensing requirements for the Jurisdiction where the attorney is licensed to practice.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Law Degree (J.D.).
- Admission to the practice of law in any state and/or Washington, DC (Maryland Bar Preferred).
- One-year experience in immigration law
- Bilingual (English and Spanish).
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
Annual Salary: $75,000 to $79,500