Attorney/Assistant Director for Training
Maryland Legal Aid
August 16, 2021
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
The Training & Pro Bono Unit overall purpose is to develop, plan, schedule, and coordinate statewide trainings for all staff and volunteers, including pro bono attorneys. As part of this effort, MLA announces the availability of a full-time Assistant Director for Training position within the Training Program. This position reports to the Director of Training & Pro Bono, and assists with the planning, development, and implementation of trainings. The Assistant Director has the following additional responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage the successful delivery of both legal and non-legal training programs statewide.
- Review and evaluate training requests from staff, in consultation with managers and the Director of Training & Pro Bono.
- Develop and implement training programs across multiple areas of law depending on staff needs, and evaluate the effectiveness of those training programs.
- Oversee logistical aspects of trainings in coordination with other MLA staff.
- Explore and develop various approaches to curriculum planning and design for effective delivery of training programs.
- Work with MLA’s Task Force Chairs to identify training needs of staff and to schedule planning meetings and trainings.
- Assist with developing and implementing strategies for alternative training methods.
- Work with advocacy managers to determine individual, office/unit, and organizational training needs and tailor and coordinate trainings to address those needs.
- Assist with developing and executing MLA’s annual New Lawyer Training Advocacy Institute and Staff & Board Conference.
- Assist with coordinating, planning, and implementing MLA’s summer law clerk program.
- Collect and disseminate information on available training resources, costs, and program evaluations.
- Cultivate relationships with subject matter experts who can assist in the development of trainings.
- Identify quality training programs for staff to attend and to serve as trainers.
- Meet regularly with the Director of Training& Pro Bono to discuss and establish training and professional development priorities, budgetary needs, and future trainings, and devise plans to address these matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Must be reliable and self-starting with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of office procedures and office technology, including Microsoft Office, and willingness and ability to learn new software. A detail-oriented, multi-tasker with superior organizational and customer service skills and ability to handle high-volume workloads. One (1) to three (3) years’ experience in an office setting is required and experience in law office or legal setting is preferred. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
How To Apply
Apply for Assistant Director of Training (Attorney) using the link below:
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER