Maryland Legal Aid
March 31, 2023
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities–helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year.
MLA announces an immediate opening for a full-time Administrative Assistant position in the Prince George’s County office. This position will perform secretarial, clerical, and administrative functions in a law office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets clients and visitors, answers multi-line phones, takes messages, and provides referrals, as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments and maintains logs, calendars, and other schedules for the unit office.
- Maintains mail log, sorts, distributes, and scans incoming and outgoing mail.
- Provides administrative support, as needed, including typing legal documents and general correspondence and assists staff with formatting, printing, and scanning of documents and other information;
- Maintains, organizes, and updates legal forms, brochures, and other printed materials.
- Maintains office filing systems, including performing routine filing, file retrieval, and file purging.
- Maintains general upkeep of unit computers, printers, and copiers and keeps work area neat.
- Provide temporary coverage for other administrative support positions as needed.
- Performs general office duties, as assigned, and is willing to perform other functions within the scope of employment to assist in the efficient operation of the unit.
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent and experience working in an office setting.
- Must be reliable, self-starting, and pleasant individual with excellent communication and telephone skills.
- Must be able to produce grammatically correct documents in proper format.
- Strong customer service skills including the ability to empathize and assist people who are distressed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle high volume workloads.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suites and ability to learn new software.
- Legal experience preferred but not required.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 – $49,000. In addition, MLA provides employees with a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 2 weeks paid time off, paid sick leave, 14 annual paid holidays, and more!